I had been missing my regular massages (which along with yoga and exercise help me to manage life long back pain), so on day 26 I treated myself to a full body massage with my usual therapist. I was expecting it to be awkward, but by placing towels under my ribs, shoulders and head I could lie on my front without pressing on my breasts. The massage was bliss.
For exercise I had lifted the pace in walking enough to get a mild puff going, and alternated with comfortable spin sessions on the indoor bike. I could feel my normal energy and strength returning this week which was pleasing.
YOGA POSTURES WEEK 4:
Twists were feeling more comfortable so long as there was no pulling across top of my chest (which is why lying twists are still impossible). I had much better reach in postures generally – in front, behind and above my head. The pulling sensation across the front of my chest was still too strong to attempt any prone postures such as Bhujangasana/Cobra pose.
Added more standing poses:
- Ardha Chandrasana – Half moon pose
- Virabhadrasana 3 – Warrior 3 (done with arms out at sides)
- Beginners Natarajasana – Lord of the dance pose (done by reaching behind rather than overhead to catch ankle and with a gentle back arch)
- Urdhva Prasarita Ekapadasana – Upright extended single leg pose (standing splits)
Added more floor poses:
- Supta Virasana – Lying hero pose (leaning back on forearms, and lying flat with arms by sides)
- Cat pose balance – start on all fours, balance with opposite arm and leg outstretched (precursor for chaturanga dandasana and plank, a good way to test chest muscle recovery)
- Beginners Purvottansana – Table pose (precursor for upward plank, a good way to test chest muscle recovery
- Parivrtta Janu Sirsasana – Side stretch in bent knee pose
- Bharadvajrasana 1 and 2 – Twists
- Krounchasana – Heron pose
- Vatayanasana – Horse face pose
- Malasana – Garland pose
- Kurmasana – Turtle pose
Added one more backbend:
- Ustrasana – Camel pose (reaching back to heels, with feet propped on toes rather than extended flat)