With a couple of free weeks in between Ironman training blocks, I’ve been back in the kitchen playing with food. Some of my go-to flavours are lime, coriander and chilli. This recipe is my version of a divine salad I always order at my favourite restaurant. It’s packed full of protein for my vegan friends and so it can be a complete meal, as well as a side dish to share.
This recipe serves two. The dressing makes enough to put half in the fridge and use again the next day.
4 handfuls fresh rocket or baby kale
1 large avocado
1 cup edamame beans
1 cup corn kernels
150gm fresh asparagus
1 handful fresh flat parsley leaves
75 gm roasted cashews/almond slivers
2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
½ cup dry quinoa
40gm fresh coriander bunch
Juice of 2 limes & zest of 1 lime
75gm roasted cashews
4 tbsp olive oil
2 – 3 tsp green curry paste
2 tsp coconut sugar
½ tsp salt
- Cook quinoa – leave to cool while making salad
- Blanch asparagus in boiling water – rinse with cold water
- Place all dressing ingredients into a food processor and blitz until it forms a thick creamy dressing – if it seems too viscous add 1 tbsp water
- Place cooked quinoa, beans, corn, asparagus & parsley in a bowl – gently fold through ½ of dressing until well mixed
- Halve the salad leaves between 2 serving bowls – spoon over the dressed vegetable mix – slice the avocado and add to bowls – then sprinkle over the nuts & seeds.
NOTE: These ingredients can be changed to suit what you have available – fresh peas for edamame, green beans for asparagus, other ancient grains for quinoa.